Saturday, February 04, 2006

Going out alone?

This morning while I was putting away laundry I was asked if I wanted to get out by myself today. I'll save you all the details, but I eventually decided to go. As I was clipping the phone onto my waist band and told him where I was going he said, "Why don't you take Elizabeth with you?" How is that going out alone? Apparently I need to define ALONE for him again. Alone means without children. Well, scratch absolutely everywhere I'd planned on going other than Target.

Ended up going ahead and going to Toys R Us after Target. I am looking for Valentine's Day ideas for the girls. Could've skipped it, though. The toy aisles at Target were just as good. After TRU, we went to Barnes and Noble where I treated us to drinks from the cafe. Elizabeth had a Strawberries and Creme Frap while I had a decaf Cinnamon Dolce Latte - both were delicious and we had fun sitting at the table in the cafe just talking. Elizabeth kept pulling her straw out of her drink because it had whipped cream on it and "I want to taste my straw, Mom."

We went to the magazine section next, trying to find a copy of the Disney Princess magazine that Elizabeth loves so much. None to be found. So I bought the Better Homes and Gardens Simply Perfect Storage magazine. I also got Creating Keepsakes Top Ten issue. We headed to the children's section and I found a book I'm definitely getting for all three girls to share for Valentine's Day. You Are My I Love You by Maryann Cusimano. I sat at one of the tables reading it to Elizabeth and crying - I'm sure post partum hormones had nothing to do with that. But, it's so sweet from the opening "I am your parent; you are my child. I am your quiet place; you are my wild" to the closing "I am your lullabye; you are my peek-a-boo. I am your goonight kiss; you are my I love you." Sappy, yes; but I love sap when it comes to my kids.

And as much fun as Elizabeth and I were having - I wasn't about to stretch it and try taking her to the scrapbook store. That will have to wait for a day when I get to go out...um...alone. And that would be the actual dictionary definition of "alone" rather than Brad's definition.

I flipped through the BH&G magazine quickly as I was stopped for a train on the way home. I found this nifty cart from walmart.com and I'm wondering if I could put it somewhere in my kitchen. Maybe get rid of the chopping block that is there now and offers no real storage. Of course, my little monkeys will climb on it and probably kill themselves or one another in the process. Katherine will scale the thing and jump, I'm sure.

No comments: