Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Quick Chicken & Spinach

A friend of ours is having surgery soon and her pre-op regimen has already started.  To help her out, our Care Group is providing meals for her family so she doesn’t have to deal with it.  I bought chicken last week because Elizabeth and I have been craving Quick Chicken and Spinach – so I decided to double the recipe to make for her crew.  This is quick, easy and delicious.  It has been a staple in our house since our first baby was born and a Care Group member brought it to us for dinner.  And yes, that is lilac Fiestaware bowl.  Yes, you can be jealous that I have two…and a couple of chili bowls…I’ll wait while you compose yourself. 

IMG_5962-(2)

Here (hopefully…I think they move these recipes sometimes!) is the recipe - from the December 2001 issue of Cooking Light magazine.  The nutritional analysis below is copied from the recipe as put on myrecipes.com by Cooking Light. 

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)
Ingredients

    * 4  (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    * 1/8  teaspoon  salt
    * 1/8  teaspoon  black pepper
    * 1  tablespoon  olive oil
    * 3/4  cup  chopped onion
    * 1  garlic clove, minced
    * 1 1/2  cups  fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    * 2  (14 1/2-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with onions and green peppers, drained
    * 4  cups  fresh spinach
    * 1  tablespoon  chopped fresh basil
    * 1  tablespoon  butter
    * 4  cups  hot cooked ziti (short, tube-shaped pasta)
    * 1/4  cup  (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Preparation

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken, onion, and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in broth and tomatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, basil, and butter; cook 2 minutes.

Toss chicken mixture with pasta, and top with cheese.

Nutritional Information

Calories:            431 (23% from fat)
Fat:                    10.8g (sat 4.1g,mono 3.8g,poly 1.3g)
Protein:              37.8g
Carbohydrate:    46.3g
Fiber:                  6.5g
Cholesterol:        80mg
Iron:                    4mg
Sodium:              911mg
Calcium:            183mg

1 comment:

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

This looks AWESOME! I already have the diced tomatoes on hand, so the only thing I would have to buy is an onion. Wahoo! I'm totally going to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!