I don't "do" pregnancy well. I never have. I'm horribly sick and it never fails that there's always some kink thrown in for good measure (my gallbladder the first time, a common bile duct stone the second time, a miscarriage the third time and a baby with a possible heart defect the fourth time). So, here I am - dry heaving almost non-stop and that, my friends, is NOT fun. I have Phenergan, but I also have three children. It's kind of hard to parent when one is passed out after having taken a Phenergan.
I called my OB's office late Tuesday afternoon and left the nurse a message basically begging for something besides Phenergan. She called me back with the offer of 30 Zofran. Thirty is all he'll give - not sure if that's a medical reason or because Zofran is so bloomin' expensive. I didn't care. I leaped at the offer. I called my pharmacy later. They didn't have the generic (by the way, did you know Zofran has gone generic? Can I get a hallelujah?!) in stock and didn't have the correct strength of the name brand. I was talking to the tech and I heard the pharmacist say I could have the name brand if I wanted it. The tech said, "How much?" Then I heard it... "One thousand dollars" WHAT?! The tech said, "Oh, but your part is only $50" Phew. I said, "You know what, let's wait until you get the correct strength of the generic. My husband is home. I can take a Phenergan."
Yesterday, Brad went to pick up my script. The generic was $249+ some change (yikes!) and our insurance paid all but $10 of it. (thank you, Lord, for insurance!!) I took one and within 30 minutes I felt a lot better. I ate some then went to bed and slept for 3 hours (not drug induced, thankfully). I woke up and ate some more. Wow. This stuff just might make the rest of my first trimester bearable!!
6 comments:
I'm glad you knew about the generic, or found out, because I had recently heard they did have one. Feel better!
Yay! Glad you found something that will work for you! I had MANY people tell me that Zofran was the best out there. Phenergan knocks me out too, never ended up trying Zofran though...hope it continues to make you feel better :)
(((hugs))), I'm glad it's working for you girl! You'll make it through this....and we can't wait to see who that little miracle is!!! :)
Gina,
I,too was extremely sick...Zofran made me able to function, so I am very thankful for that drug. I took a small sliver of it every morning before getting out of bed...I tried the smallest amount as possible...and it worked...so maybe try a small amount first and see if you can by with teeny amounts...one of the side effects is not fun...I'll have to tell you privately, so small dosages may work and help that,too! I think I took a tiny dose in the morning and then again mid afternoon. I felt so much better.
I do not like Phenergan, so Zofran was an answer to prayer for my last 2 pregnancies.
praying for you,
Kim
Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. HUGS to you
I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time of it! I hope this new medication continues to work well for you!! (((hugs)))
Post a Comment