Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Twenty 'til midnight

I sit here, in the dark, at 11:40p.m. nursing Annie. I realized she's no longer the little newborn who used to lay in my arms and quietly nurse. Now, her right arm and leg are both flailing in the air - in much the same way they did when she was in utero (it's such a neat thing to have felt those movements for months and now be able to see them), she's letting me know "Mom, I'm frantic" for food, for comfort, for sleep.

And now, in the five minutes it took me to type the paragraph above, my sweet little nursling lies asleep at my breast. Comfort nursing in her sleep. Breathing in a rhythm I would recognize even if you blindfolded me. Precious little hand resting on me, occasionally kneading me like a little kitten.

Martina McBride's
song "Blessed" runs through my head constantly at moments like this.
I get to hear my children laughing
down the hall through the bedroom door
Sometimes I sit on my front porch swing
just soaking up the day
I think to myself, I think to myself
this world is a wonderful place
I have been blessed
and I feel like I've found my way
I thank God for all I've been given
at the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones that love me
To love them so much it hurts
I have been blessed

And today makes me think of the 2nd verse of the song - because today is the 20th anniversary of my first date with Brad. I have loved this man for literally half of my life
Across a crowded room
I know you know what I'm thinking
By the way I look at you
And when we're lying in the quiet
And no words have to be said
I think to myself, I think to myself
This love is a beautiful gift

:::sigh::: Yes, I have been blessed. Too bad I don't realize it all the time. When I whine, will someone please refer me to this post?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You didn't warn me to go get the tissue box before reading your post, Gina! *wipes tears away* Your post is so sweet. I know just what you mean about how sweet the little nursing babies are. My Emma is getting so big she barely fits in my lap, but she can comfort nurse (nur-napping as a friend and I call it) for what seems like hours. Thanks for the reminder to cherish the people I love. :)

Melinda said...

my precious little girl finally drifted off to sleep snuggled in my lap while nursing. thanks for the lovely reminder tonight, Gina

Anonymous said...

Sniff.......wipes eyes and nose, sniffs again.

Tania said...

Ahhh, someone pass the tissues, Gina, amazing post! You should do a page about this! My JT flailed alot when nursing, even now at 3 I have to lay down with him and hold his arms and legs down and rub his back to get him to relax. I think he'd still nurse if I'd let him, ykes! And congrats on 20 years with your dh, that's amazing.

Raji said...

Gina, you made my cry. Just today I was thinking about how fast my sweet baby is growing up. Thanks for the beautiful reminder

Audimc said...

I love that song and yes you are blessed! I agree with Tania, you need to do a post about that :)